Saturday 28 January 2012

What I'm Reading.

Right now I'm reading Tideland by Mitch Cullin. I started it months ago, but due to all the fictional reading I have to do for my Creative Writing course, I find it hard to find the time to read for leisure, as I hate having more than one book on the go at one time - I like to give them my full attention!

So this week I found that I have next to no fiction books to read this semester, and therefore all the time in the world to get lost in books of my choice.

Tideland is a Southern Gothic novel, which comes as the third instalment to Cullin's "Texas Trilogy," and has been described as "a modern hybrid of Psycho and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Sounds like perfection to me!

The novel follows the adventures of a young girl, Jeliza-Rose, who spends a summer alone in an isolated Texas farmhouse, with only her imagination and a bunch of dismembered Barbie pieces for company.

This book has got me cute. It's one of those 'can't put it down' novels which I never want to end. And as soon as it does, I will be sure to track down the first two book from the Texas Trilogy (Whompyjawed and novel-in-verse, Branches, if you're interested). So, for anybody looking for some recommended reading, or just something to get stuck into during the cold evenings, I send you this. The best book I've read for a long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like...